About the service
Breastfeeding Support Workers (BFSWs), work alongside Community Midwives and Health Visitors to provide an additional tier of infant feeding support to expectant & new families.
Many new parents feel a little apprehensive and unsure about feeding in the early days & weeks, so they really appreciate the emotional support and practical guidance the support workers offer.
Breastfeeding support workers will make every effort to contact all new parents as soon as possible after their discharge from hopsital or after a homebirth. They offer information on how to get breastfeeding started, responsive feeding, expressing breast milk and ways to avoid feeding problems in the future.
The service is parent led – so you are encouraged to contact them as little or often as you wish during the first six to eight weeks following birth when breastfeeding can be most challenging.
If you miss their call or misplace the number for our Breastfeeding Support Workers, they can be contacted by emailing the team with details of your baby's name, date of birth and a contact phone number to get back in touch on.
For information relating to breast pump hire, contact your local Family Hub
Breastfeeding Support Groups
Together with a range of Health Care Professionals, Peer Support Volunteers and NCT Breastfeeding Counsellors we provide Breast Feeding Support groups at sites across Worcestershire.
Breastfeeding groups provide an opportunity to meet other mothers in a relaxed and friendly setting. Pregnant women and pregnant people are also welcome to access these groups.
Breast Buddies' Support Groups
- Every 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month from 12:30pm - 2:00pm at Pear Trees Family Hub. Please note from 12th April, groups at Pear Trees Family Hub will take place from 9am-1:30pm instead of 12:30pm - 2:00pm.
- Every Tuesday from 10:00am - 11:30am at Brookside Family Hub
- Every 1st, 3rd and 5th Wednesday from 10:00am - 11:30am at Holly Trees Family Hub
- Every Thursday from 12:30pm - 2:00pm at Saffron Family Hub
- Every 3rd Friday from 10:00am - 11:30am at Saffron Family Hub
- Every 4th Friday from 11:00am - 12:00pm via Microsoft Teams
If you would like to attend one of our Breast Buddies' support groups, please email the team with your baby's name, date of birth and postcode. We will then book you a place. Partners, grandparents, friends and older children are also welcome.
If you would like more information about a particular group please ask your Midwife, Health Visitor, Breastfeeding Support Worker or Community Nursery Nurse, alternatively contact the National Breastfeeding Helpline on 0300 100 0212 (9.30am to 9.30pm, daily) or visit the national NHS website to find a breastfeeding drop-in near you
Contact a Breastfeeding Support Worker (BFSW)
- For individual breastfeeding support up until your baby is 6 weeks old, please email the team.
- If your baby is over 6 weeks old, you can access support at your local Breast Buddies' group or NCT breastfeeding group. You can also ask a member of the Health Visiting team for support via our 1 simple number: 01905 520032
Breastfeeding support can also be accessed on the following helplines:
- On evenings and weekends calls will be redirected to The National Breastfeeding Helpline 0300 100 0212 available from 9:30am-9:30pm
- NCT helpline 0300 330 0700 from 8am-midnight
- La Leche helpline 0345 120 2918 from 8am-11pm
- Association of Breastfeeding Mothers 0300 330 5453 from 9:30am-9:30pm