Role Name: School Health Volunteer
We are looking for volunteerts to support the Public Health School Nursing Teams
What does this involve:
- Supporting the Hearing Screening Programme and National Childhood Measurement Programme within Schools across Worcestershire for reception aged children (4-5yrs) and year 6 children (aged 10-11 years)
- Assisting the Health Care Support Workers with setting up and tidying away/cleaning the equipment after the sessions
- Meeting and greeting school aged children
- Collecting and returing children to and from the classrooms
- Being a friendly face, reassuring the children about the procedures for having their hearing tested and height and weight measurements completed
- Sitting with and reassuring the children who are waiting for their hearing test and helping to keep the room quiet for the children being tested
- Williningness to work within different schools and to be able to travel independently to the schools (on ocassions)
- Help at community events, distribute resources and signpost to support within the Starting Well Partnership
- Good communication skills with children and adults
- Reliable and willingness and ability to adapt to different situations
- Non judgemental
- Maintain confidentiality
- Understand professional boundaries
- Knowledge and training around safeguarding and how to escalate any concerns
In preparation for taking on the School Health Volunteer role, you will complete a 3-week induction course (3 x sessions lasting 2 hours each). This is in addition to any volunteer training processes required by the host organisation. As a new volunteer you will be volunteering alongside Health Care Support Workers who will support you.
Once qualified, School Health Volunteers may be interested in exploring other opportunities within the Starting Well partnership.
When considering whether to apply for this role, you should be willing to commit to at least one year of volunteering. Before becoming a volunteer, you will be required to complete an Enhanced DBS check (if you do not already have one in place which is registered on the DBS Update Service website). You can expect to receive regular support and supervision when carrying out your volunteer role including a comprehensive induction before you start.
Apply - South Worcestershire
If you would like to apply for one of our volunteer roles, please contact:
Peer Support and Volunteer Coordinator- Starting Well Partnership South Worcestershire
Alternatively, please complete the below online enquiry form